[GRFC] Sub-Proposal 3: Call for applications - Emergency multi-sig signers election
Raambo, Graadient, Jaypow, Bernard
- What is governed by who?
- Vote 26
- Vote 27
- Sub-Proposal 2 (Approve configuration of emergency multi-sig and define its powers)
- Forum post about Gro DAO’s new structure in October 2022
- Study of Emergency Multi-Sigs
As Vote 27 (to approve the configuration of the emergency multi-sig and ratify its scope) was approved by the DAO, applications received on this RFC will be voted on to elect a total of 7 Emergency Multi-Sig signers, as follows:
- 3 non-pod members
- 1 pod member from each pod (i.e. 4 in total)
This sub-proposal will use a multi-winner weighted voting strategy, conducted off-chain on Snapshot. The top voted representative from each pod and the top 3 voted non-pod members will be elected into the emergency multi-sig. Accordingly, DAO members can spread their voting power across any number of choices (including a reject and abstain option), ideally being able to express support for 7 candidates they consider most suitable and specify how much they support each candidate.
You can read more about weighted voting here.
This sub-proposal is for the election of signers to the Gro DAO Emergency Multi-Sig, which can conduct certain whitelisted functions such as blocking any potentially malicious on-chain governance attacks or conducting emergency protocol functions swiftly in the case of an emergency (as further detailed in sub-proposal 2).
To ensure sufficient decentralisation alongside operational efficiency, and as proposed in sub-proposal 2, the emergency multi-sig should be configured to a 4-of-7 (m-of-n) with a representative from each pod as well as 3 non-pod DAO members (who will be compensated, as detailed below).
If you are interested in being a signer in the emergency multi-sig committee, please read and respond to this post using the suggested application template below.
- The emergency multi-sig signers will be responsible for mission-critical operations and decision-making as outlined in sub-proposal 2.
- Signers should be available across a range of time zones, with the aim of having 24/7 respondents. To encourage censorship resistance and timely action, we recommend to have no more than 4 signers based in the same time zone.
Being a Gro DAO emergency multi-sig signer is a crucial role that ideally requires members to be:
- Aligned with the long-term interests of Gro DAO (by having, for example, over [40,000+ vesting GRO tokens] or have continuously contributed to the DAO for over 1 year)
- Knowledgeable about Gro Protocol and its smart contracts
- Up-to-date with the latest news in DeFi
- Have good OpSec practices (e.g. having a hardware wallet)
- Committed to learning the expected behaviours of this role and how multi-sig transactions work (ideally already having experience participating in a multi-sig)
- Available to respond within 24 hours, except in rare circumstances
- Willing to attend war room calls and signer meetings
- Prepared to alert other signers in advance about periods of unavailability (e.g. holidays) and/or changing time zones
- Possessing the self-awareness to step down from the position if unable to perform duties to a suitable standard
- Willing to have introductory video calls with other signers and demonstrate public ownership of your signer address in the application process (see template below).
Signers who are inactive (i.e. if they do not sign transactions on multiple occasions nor respond to alerts or messages on Discord/Telegram/Email within 24h on multiple occasions) or are unable to meet the minimum requirements can be voted out by the emergency multi-sig committee or have their proposed termination determined by a DAO Snapshot vote, with a by-election on Snapshot conducted thereafter to establish a new signer.
Suggested application template
- Qualifications & involvement with Gro DAO:
- Time zone and availability:
- Why you would be a good fit for this role:
- Verified Message Signature: (MyCrypto - Ethereum Wallet Manager)
6 months. After this term ends, existing signers and new signers may run in the next election.
Because of the mission-critical and ‘24/7’ nature of this role, the elected non-pod members will each receive $500 USDC and 1000 GRO each per month.
This equates to an annual budget payout of $18,000 USDC + 36,000 GRO for a 4-of-7 signer configuration.
- This election sub-proposal will be open for applications until August 9, 2023.
- The election will take place on Snapshot between August 13, 2023 to August 18, 2023.
If you have any questions, please reply to this post or ask in the #Governance channel in Gro DAO’s Discord. We look forward to your applications!
This RFC was edited in August 2023, to account for: